Saturday, September 10, 2011

No car, many activities

I better make a blog post about today's wonderful activities because I know things are about to get even more crazy and I probably won't have too much time to recount.  Cousin Molly arrives to visit within a matter of hours (she'll be here for 2 weeks) and my university classes begin on Monday.  In the meantime, today was an adventure of "how many activities can I fit in one day."

I just found out that I've been invited to climb Mt. Kinabalu in mid-October!  This is very exciting because Mt. K is SE Asia's highest mountain at 4,095 m (13,435 ft), and its in Borneo (the northern part of the island which contains the Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak).  Rotary here is conducting a district wide service project where all the clubs, of which there are about 72 (?) in Rotary District 3300, work together to execute one big project.  The project is called "A Climb Beyond Disabilities."  They are organizing a climb to the summit of Mt. K for 18 disabled participants ranging from spastic to blind, autistic, Down sysndrome and other conditions of disability as well as volunteers to help them, and then additional climbers.  I have been invited to participate as a volunteer.  The climb-a-thon will raise money for different OKU organizations (OKU in Malaysia refers to people with disabilities).  To prepare for the climb, they have been training with the disabled and other participants every weekend for 4 months by taking them on weekly hikes.  I joined on the hike this morning so they could make sure I was in fit enough condition to participate.  It was nice to get some exercise, but I had to leave my apartment at 6am to take the lightrail train to catch a ride to the trailhead.  It was great to get an early start, beat the heat, and get down before 11am.  The trail was steep and wet but it was nice and cool at the top. 



Enjoying fresh coconut water straight from the fruit and feasting on the coconut meat after a pleasant hike in the jungle.

By 1pm I was back home for a quick shower to turn around and head to an open house gathering.  I was invited by a Rotarian I had never met, nor spoken to on the phone, to join him at his home for a traditional Malaysian Hari Raya open house.  They were very enthusiastic about my attendance and even insisted on preparing vegetarian food just for me, so I couldn't say no to such a warm welcome.  Although it did take some maneuvering via lightrail and taxi through a major traffic jam to a part of the city I had never been to, the welcome was warm and the food was good.  I was the only Caucasian and didn't know anyone there besides the host that I met upon arrival, but a bit later, a few more Rotarians arrived and it was a good learning experience about this holiday gathering. 



Enjoying a Hari Raya open house a Rotarian Jamil's home with Rotarians from the Rotary Club of Kampang Baru.

It was a quick visit because soon there after I was expected at a childrens home a ways away.  Thankfully, the kind Rotarians offered me a ride and I was deposited at a childrens home called Rumah Wake 1.  There are 13 children living here between the ages of 6 and 17.  Today was special because the Rotary Club that has adopted/sponsored them (RC Pantai Valley) was donating provisions and having a tea party.  It was great meet the children and try and answer their questions about Alaska while learning a little about their lives.


How many group photos can I be in during one day?  Meeting the children at the orphanage on a special afternoon.

A little dear who studies hard and enjoys the Disney Channel.

Needless to say, my carefree days are over and a busy schedule has ensued.  I knew it wouldn't last long before my need for an organizer/planner arose again to keep track of all my activities.  So, life here isn't really that different than that in America for me in the regard of keeping  busy schedule and seeing how much I can do in one day.  But this time, I'm just trying to do it without a car!  Maybe this is a good way to counter all the pounds (or kilograms as they would say here) that I'm guaranteed to gain during my time here from the delicious and diverse cuisine.  In Malaysia, the typical greeting is not "how are you?", its "have you eaten yet?"

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to climb Mount Kinabalu in August of next year? I'm so excited for you! It's going to be awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I meant to write mid-OCTOBER for the climb! So in about a month. Thanks, I've amended the post. So excited!

    ReplyDelete