Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Birthday/New Apartment

I posted some photos on Facebook about the birthday festivities, so this might be a repeat, but it was a very nice day indeed, actually, 2 days.  On Thursday I spent the whole day with my host counsellor Rotarian Kirenjit, who I happen to share the exact birthday with.  Since she was going to spend most of the actual birthday with her family, it was nice to hang out together just before.  It was a mix of business and pleasure but we enjoyed a nice lunch where I finally tried the vegetarian version of nasi lemak- a popular dish in Malaysia (actually considered the national dish) consisting of rice, cucumber slices, small fried anchovies (or your choice of soy substitute/mock meat), roasted peanuts, hard boiled egg, and a hot spicy sauce called sambal. 
Then we relaxed over a nice form of massage that is very popular here…foot reflexology.  I don’t think I’ve ever done it before and I have to admit I fell into a complete relaxed sleep only to be gently woken by the neck/shoulder/head rub portion at the end.  Not a bad way to wake up.

Friday I treated myself to some goodies like I always do on my birthday.  I met up with a friend who helped me buy a cute little netbook computer that I’ve been eyeing which is very useful for traveling and taking to the university and is considerably lighter than my 15 inch laptop.  The rest of the afternoon was spent enjoying some more pampering and then packing as we received the keys to our new apartment at 4:30 on birthday day!  Our current apartment was fine, but for several reasons it was good to find our own place and for less than I pay in Alaska, we get a pool, gym, great views of the city, and 3 minutes walking distance to the monorail station.  That’s saying a lot considering I had super cheap rent in Alaska. 

That evening some kind Rotarians and friends organized a nice birthday gathering for Kirenjit and I at a local club.  When you speak of a “club” in Malaysia, it usually refers to an old British sports club where there are activities such as squash, swimming, etc. and also different forms of lounges and restaurants.  It was a great night surrounded by new friends and of course good food, good wine, and a special delicious vegan cake.  Thanks especially to Dr. Sen, Bina, and Kirenjit for a great evening.

My new little netbook and a delicious bowl of Mac and Cheese sent from America by my wonderful parents.

Special vegan cake provided by Dr. Sen, thanks!

Birthday girls!

Gift exchange, I hope too see some of my new Malaysian friends in Alaska!

Warm birthday wishes from the wonderful Dr. Sen.

How the last few drops of wine dried in the bottom of my glass :)

New apartment!

View from my bedroom window of a beautiful Hindu temple.  I have now come to realize they chime bells at 7:30am every day for prayer, hopefully I will learn to sleep through it!

View toward the city center with Menara KL and the Petronas Towers in the distance.

Green space in the other direction.

1 comment: