Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rotary District Conference

This weekend I had the pleasure of attending the 77th Rotary International District 3300 Conference in Seremban, Malaysia.  I’ve visited Seremban several times before, but this time I was not riding any ostriches (see previous experiences).  The purpose of the District Conference is to:
“to advance the Object of Rotary through fellowship, inspirational addresses, and the discussion of matters of importance to Rotary clubs and Rotary International. The conference showcases Rotary programs and successful district and club activities. For Rotarians, the conference is an inspirational celebration and an opportunity to enjoy fellowship.”

I’d actually been looking forward to the conference because I knew I would get to see many of the wonderful Rotarians that I’ve met along the way during my four months so far.  These four months have definitely gone by quickly; I remember arriving in August and being informed about the conference in December, and thinking how I didn’t have to worry about it because December was so far away.  I’m scheduled to attend the Rotary International Convention which will be held in May in Bangkok.  That seems far off, but I’m sure time will fly by, I hope not any faster than it has been!

The District Conference was very fun and a full learning experience.  I was fortunate to attend the my home district Rotary Conference (link to district 5010) in Homer, Alaska in June right before I came to Malaysia, so it’s great to be able to compare.  Rotary in this part of the world really emphasizes fellowship.  The first night there was a western themed dinner, it was great to see everyone “dressed down” I should say in plaid shirts, jeans, and cowboy hats.  It was the first time I had seen most of the Rotarians in anything other than suits and business clothes.  The organizing clubs did a great job keeping the fun up with activities such as line dancing, a target shooting game with a mini pop gun, horse shoes, and of all things…a mechanical bull.  Now, I’ve somehow managed to avoid ever riding a mechanical bull throughout my life, so who would have thought my first experience would be in Malaysia, at a professional conference, and not in a bar somewhere as that’s the only place you seem to find them in America.  Well, I represented the West well, because I actually won a prize for staying on the bull longest of any female rider, haha!

Tomoko representing Japan on the mean bull.

It was wonderful to see some cowboys and cowgirls that I climbed Mt. Kinabalu with.
Day two was filled with lots of protocol and breakout sessions, but someone suggested Tomoko and I join the “spouses” program.  At these types of conferences, they usually plan some type of light alternative activities for the spouses.  So we hopped on the bus and toured a fruit farm, had a Chinese Halal lunch and made batches of jam out of so local fruits. 

On the second night, there was a formal dinner where everyone dressed up in their best.  It was a great excuse to wear the kebaya that I received as a gift from my host counselor a few months ago.  Tomoko wore her kimono and her host counselor also wore a kimono that Tomoko brought as a gift, so they were a big hit.
Some of my favorite Rotarians from my host club (RC Titiwangsa) and RC Bangsar.

Rotary Club of Titiwangsa group shot.

My first time attempting to wear a kebaya.  Mostly worn by Muslim Malay women with a head scarf.

Tomoko and her host counselor looking beautiful in their kimonos.
I’ll head back to Seremban tomorrow night for a dinner at the District Governor’s house for all TRF (The Rotary Foundation) alumni and current ambassadorial scholars/GSE participants.  It was fun to see the GSE team (see Penang post) again at the conference, and I look forward to hearing more about their experiences now that they are near the end of their time in Malaysia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment