Thursday, February 16, 2012

Another Example of a Small World

In 2010 I was awarded I fellowship from the Hydro Research Foundation to support my thesis research, along with eight other recipients.  With this grant we were also invited to attend a hydropower industry conference that is held every year.  It was great to meet the other students, learn about their respective research, and gain insight into the industry.  In 2011, the foundation awarded another round of fellowships and we again all met at the conference this summer including the new recipients.  The foundation provides brief biographies of each of the participants and their research.  On my flight to Sacramento on the way to the conference this past July, I was surprised to read that one of the new awardees had grown up in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and was now studying in New York!  I was very excited to meet her at the conference and of course ask millions of questions, as it was only two weeks before my departure date to Asia.  It also turned out that her parents were visiting California with her as part of a longer visit to the US as they still live in Kuala Lumpur.
Fast forward six months and half way around the world...she and I and our families were able to have a nice meet up in Kuala Lumpur just a few days after my parents arrived.  She happened to be visiting for Chinese New Year and amongst all the craziness of the holiday we were able to cross paths and enjoy a very delicious Indian vegetarian meal while catching up and learning more about Malaysia.  Small world indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment