Sunday, February 5, 2012

From the Road

A quick post from the road, or the water taxi I should say.  My folks and I are having a great time traveling around N. Malaysia where we spent time in Ipoh and Taiping before heading to the island of Langkawi.  From there we hopped a boat to the small island of Ko Lipe less than an hour away just north in S. Thailand but the differences couldn't have been more pronounced.  On Langkawi the beach is populated with Malaysians and visitors from other Muslim countries where women swim in head scarves and children and adults swim fully clothed.  A skip away on Ko Lipe European sun bathers enjoyed the rays sans bikini tops. 

Ko Lipe was beautiful, we spent 5 days soaking in the warm, glowing waters and fresh white sand.  I think I "picked" a good winter to be away from Anchorage as the city has been getting dumped with snow (I miss the snow, but not driving in it) and long periods of temps well below zero.   

Its been great hearing stories about when my parents traveled extensively around the world (including SE Asia) 34 years ago.  Everything is so different now!  Tomorrow we're off to Ipoh again to experience the Hindu festival of Thaipusam before heading back to Kuala Lumpur.  I'll have a lot of catching up to to do with the blog when things settle down again come mid-February.  But I'm happy to have visitors, even for 5 weeks straight :)   

True water color, no enhancements!

My folks at the beach on Ko Lipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment