Friday, October 7, 2011

Addicted to Travel

While I've always been interested in travelling and exploring the globe, my time in Alaska quelled that desire a little because there's just so much to see and do and experience within the great state itself.  I'm fortunate to have experienced some world exploration through short trips to Central American in high school and college, a trip to China when I was 14, and 5 weeks in Eastern Russia at Lake Baikal as part of an environmental exchange during my bachelor studies.  But this is my first true open ended immersion experience where I get to spend a substantial amount of time in a foreign land as a resident.  So many students experience this through foreign exchange during their bachelor studies, but I am glad in the end that I am experiencing this now as a more mature person.  I can definitely say that I am more confident and comfortable with myself than when I was 19 and able to have a much more perhaps meaningful, or at least different, experience than if I had hopped the train back then. 

Although it was very sad to leave my beloved Alaska, the idea of endless travel possibilities was enough to pry me way.  Looking at a map of Alaska, there isn't much near by.  While looking at a map of SE Asia, the travel opportunities are almost too many!  So many countries so close that I feel like a kid in a candy store.  My head spins every day researching and arranging trips to near by lands.  So far on the docket:  Sabah (Eastern Malaysia/Borneo) to climb Mt. Kinabalu, Singapore, Cambodia, Bali and Thailand, as well as many other travels within Malaysia.  That's all before the end of the year (except for Thailand), also looking forward to planning excursions to Vietnam, Laos, Burma, and maybe China, India, Nepal, and Bhutan.  I feel this screaming in my head that "this is your only chance to REALLY see the world!"  The thought of returning to America and starting my career with the possibility of only a few weeks off a year doesn't bode well for future thorough travel experiences.  So I better enjoy it while I can! 


On another note...and ode to the air conditioner.  What would we do without it?  This is a scientific laboratory building at the university.  At least if I have to consume energy by running the A/C all the time just to sleep, then its slightly balance by the fact that I'm car-less here.  I would be terrified to drive the roads here anyways!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment