Friday, October 28, 2011

Deepavali/Diwali

Deepavali, Devali, or Diwali...depending on what region you are in...is known as the festival of lights.  This Indian festival is celebrated in a variety of ways depending on what religious community you are part of (Hinduism, Janism, Sikhism, Buddhism, etc.), but from my general understanding it is a celebration of good over evil/light over darkness or generally expressed as inner light.  Please excuse my Wikipedia paraphrasing, but to provide a little more detail about the back story...for Hindus this celebration commemorates the victory of Lord Rama (a prominent deity) over Ravana (a powerful demon) and his triumphant return to the kingdom after a period of exile. Keen to make Lord Rama’s homecoming as swift and safe as possible, his jubilant subjects illuminated the way with masses of twinkling diyas (earthenware oil lamps).  Deepavali also also symbolises the replacement of darkness (ignorance) with ‘inner’ light – garnered via the pursuit of knowledge and spiritual practices.

On the ground in Malaysia, Deepavali is a federal holiday for all.  Open houses are held, similar to Hari Raya, where Hindu Malaysians of all ethnic races welcome fellow Malaysians of different races and religions to their house for visiting, food, and relaxation.  In my neighborhood, since I'm living in the heart of Little India, it was also celebrated with an entire night of fireworks and fire crackers and street celebrations similar to New Years Eve in the USA.  Firecrackers are supposedly to drive away evil spirits, but at some point the people in the neighborhood would like to sleep!  Like I mentioned before (All things Indian), its also a time for Indians to buy new outfits and lots of sweets.  I indulged as well and am the proud owner of 2 new Punjabi outfits.     

Another beautiful aspect of Deepavali is the rangoli/ kolam art that appears everywhere.  This is a type of decorative folk art is created on the floors or courtyards to bring good luck.  It is made from colored dry granulated rice or flour and can be very elaborate, usually in a geometric or flower petal shape, but I've also seen lots of peacocks and even a duck design.  I have seen these all around lately from shopping malls to public transit stations. 


Intricate rangoli art on the floor of a shopping center.  Created by hand, very amazing!

Close up view of one of the flower petals.
In my neighborhood, there are also many mahendi/mehndi artists that set up shop on the streets and for about the equivalent of $3.25 USD in less than 10 minutes you can get adorned with some sweet temporary designs.  The material used is henna which comes from the flowering mignonette tree. 

Henna- my arm on the left (red/brown henna), my roommates arm on the right with a more black colored design.

My Deepavali outfit, including henna and bangles.  Posing with my wonderful Rotary host counselor where I was invited to spend the holiday at her parents' home enjoying time with her an her extended family.  Wow, I am so pale.

The Deepavali stalls disappeared quickly and we now have our streets back.  The sidewalks seem so wide and...walkable!  I kind of got used to the chaos, but I'm glad to have a little more peace in the neighborhood after the celebration.  I'm sure there will be another holiday soon, that's the benefit of living in a country that recognized so many cultures and religions!

No comments:

Post a Comment