Monday, October 24, 2011

Klang Valley from above

On Saturday, I was thrilled to have the invitation to hop on a quick flight seeing trip around the Klang Valley.  In my presentation about "Alaska culture" I describe the culture of flying and small planes in Alaska and how it is an integral part of life in a state with so few roads.  It turns out a Rotarian in one of the clubs I presented to runs a flying club and flying school.  He offered to take me up and show me Kuala Lumpur and the surrounding area (known as the Klang Valley) from the air.  Its really great to be here as part of Rotary and get special invitations like this.  It rained hard the evening before, creating a bit of early morning fog so the pictures aren't crystal clear, but you get the idea!  

I don't think I have ever flown in a plane this small.


Tiny two seater.

He let me take the controls for a few minutes, slight terrifying!

Patchwork of oil palm plantations near the coast.

Heading toward the city.


A huge mosque in Shah Alam, a city just outside Kuala Lumpur, called Masjid Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah.


Kuala Lumpur city center emerging from the fog in front of our eyes.

University of Malaya campus.
City center including Menara KL (or KL Tower) and the Petronas Towers.

City scape.

Heart of the Klang Valley.

Batu Caves (limestone) and the world's tallest (140 ft.) statue of Lord Muruga, the Tamil God of Love and War .

No comments:

Post a Comment