Thursday, October 20, 2011

How to eat a rambutan

One of the many joys of traveling, especially in tropical regions, is the variety of fresh local fruits and vegetables.  Since my arrival in Malaysia, I've been introduced to many fruits that I have never seen or experienced in my life, and its great to know that they are grown locally as opposed to Alaska where you have no idea where you fruit comes from, even if it is in a CSA box. 

Today I got a lesson in "how to eat a rambutan."  I don't think I've ever seen these in the America, but its possible they might show up in a grocery store every once and a while because they are grown and imported from Hawaii sometimes, and from this article (U.S. okays entry of fresh rambutan from Malaysia) it looks like earlier this year there was approval to start shipping these fun little fruits to the U.S.A.

A university professor I know here has some land and grows a small variety of different fruits and provided me with a huge bag of red rambutan (there is a yellow variety as well).  Below is a photo montage of how to eat a rambutan since they are just so fun to photograph : ) 




We have some work to do to consume all of these rambutan.




In the end, the fruit doesn't have as much flesh and I expected as there is a big seed in the middle.  But, apparently you can boil the seeds and make some sort of syrup.  The flesh of this red variety of rambutan is not juicy/watery, but the yellow version is more juicy.


No comments:

Post a Comment